Sunday, October 6, 2013

RiRi Hearts MAC...Thoughts

RiRi Hearts M�A�C Fall
Image credited to MAC website.


















So, some time last week, I was visiting my local MAC counter to meet a friend who wanted to try out some makeup.  The MA showed me the drawer of the RiRi Hearts MAC collection and I nearly fainted.  She gave me a list of rules ranging from, no holds on the collection to only being able to purchase one item per customer.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to make it to the mall when it opened on October 3rd and I was at the mercy of my local counter, because it's the only MAC within approximately 100 mile radius.

Since I couldn't be present when the mall opened (10am EST), my friend agreed to go to the counter and purchase what I wanted.  Well, a few minutes after 10, I received a text, informing me that Talk That Talk lipstick was SOLD OUT!!  I was in utter disbelief.  My friend only had a few people ahead of her in line.   She asked me if I wanted anything else, but because I was so infuriated over missing out on the lipstick, I told her not to worry about it.  As soon as I had a free moment, I flew over to my local MAC and needed to truly understand the volume of the inventory they received.  I couldn't believe that what my eyes saw didn't match up with what I had been told.  I told myself last week that I was going to restrict myself and only buy ONE lipstick...although I knew that wouldn't be true.  After the devastating blow, I really felt like shooting MAC "the bird", but calmed myself just a tad.  I was able to pin down a store (the next day) that had a bunch of the lipsticks left. I thought about getting Diamonds Cream Colour Base, but learned that this particular store didn't receive any.  I ordered the lipstick and begrudgingly paid the expensive shipping price and now, I'm just hoping to get the lipstick (with all the horror stories floating around online).  After calming down, I went back to my local MAC counter to see what they had left.  I wanted to swatch the Her Cocoa palette and the Bad Girl Gone Good blush.  The blush was sold out, but the tester was still available.  I'm not sure why I didn't swatch the blush, but I moved on to the palette.

RiRi Hearts MAC: Her Cocoa swatches compared to Mulch and Woodwinked

Beautezine reviewed the collection before its launch and, as it turns out, had names on the colors in the Her Cocoa quad...three of which were permanent shades.  I wanted to see how close the colors were, or if the names were just a fluke.  I swatched Mulch and Woodwinked next to the colors from the quad and found that, on my skin, the shades were an exact match.  Then I swatched Retro-speck (not pictured) next to the colors from the quad and the match up wasn't as exact (I took pictures of the swatches, but the colors were all washed out in the images.  They almost blend into my skin.)  The $44 price tag is what's making me take a second, third, fourth, fifth...etc guess at purchasing the palette, seeing as though at least two of the shades seem to be permanent.  They also just happen to be two shades that I've had on my list.  I just picked Mulch up during a spring break trip/visit to the CCO earlier this year.  I can't say that it's a color that I wear enough to warrant a back-up.  Woodwinked is another color that I've been wanting, but don't own.  The upside is that for 3 new shades of eyeshadow, at $15 each, I'd pay $1 more, buying them separately.  However, MAC eyeshadows are only $10 in pan form, which would make the palette purchase a $14 loss.

MAC eyeshadows in Mulch, Era, and Folie; MAC Pro Sculpting Cream in Richly Honed; MAC 109 brush; and MAC 188 brush

I asked my local counter if there would be a re-stock (like the summer launch had) and I was told by an MA that they heard they "may" get more shipment and that they were taking names and request.  I guess I'll just have to see how true that is and what my future relationship with MAC will be :o).  I left the counter with a few goodies that I'll show in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment