Thursday, April 4, 2013

OPI: Oz The Great and Powerful

Not only did the month of March bring us the highly anticipated film, Oz The Great and Powerful, but OPI made sure to release its supporting cast in nail polish form.  I'm convinced these ethereal looking shades will work well for any season.


With this collection, OPI released 3 soft shades with jelly-like formula, and 4 glittery shades (one of which is the "liquid sand" formula), for a total of 7 shades.  It took me a while to come around to this collection because, after purchasing my share of "jelly" polishes, I know that I prefer opaque polishes; however, the almost neutral tones to the jellies in this collection has inspired me.  The jelly shades seem like they will be great for layering polishes and making very natural looking French manicures.  I am anxious to play around with the bunch.

First up...the "jellies".

Don't Burst My Bubble, 3 coats, with flash
"Don't Burst My Bubble" is a pinkish white shade.



I Theodora You, 3 coats, with flash
"I Theodora You" is a pastel pink shade.



Glints of Glinda, 3 coats, with flash
"Glints of Glinda" is a neutral/light tan shade.  With the name, I thought there would be flecks of glitter, but all three of the "jelly" shades have a cream finish.  This particular shade just might rival "Samoan Sand" as my go to neutral.
I describe these shades as jellies because they have a very thin/watery consistency.  These are very sheer polishes and will take a few coats to build up.  They apply like a dream and in my opinion, they leveled well.  I didn't find that the polishes went on streaky.

The "glitters"...

Lights of Emerald City, 3 coats, with flash
"Lights of Emerald City" is a unique polish with a mix of square shaped white glitters and clear iridescent glitters.  It was a bit challenging to spread out the white glitter chunks over the nail.  How difficult of a task it is probably depends on the way you would wear it.  I wanted to see if I could build up the opacity of the polish.  It may be more helpful to allow time for the polish to fully dry between coats, if you choose to build up the opacity.


Which is Witch?, 3 coats, with flash
"Which is Witch?"  This polish contained another mixture of glitter textures and tones.  I noticed some holographic pieces, medium size hexagonal glitters, and micro bar glitters...almost a nod to last year's "Save Me", from OPI's Nicki Minaj collection.  "Save Me" was a color that I passed on, but the bar glitters in "Which is Witch" seem to be much more subtle.


When Monkeys Fly, 3 coats, with flash
What makes "When Monkeys Fly" unique is the large round gold foil pieces suspended in the clear polish.  I had a similar experience, with the application, as I did with "Lights of Emerald City".  It took some work to spread the glitter pieces over the nail, but would probably look exquisite over a dark polish.

What Wizardy is This?, 3 coats, with flash
"What Wizardry is This?" was the liquid sand shade that was released with this collection.  This polish dries down to a semi matte finish with glitter flecks that glisten noticeably.  This combination of brown and gold makes this shade live up to its texture...liquid sand...very reminiscent of a moonlit stroll on the beach.  This polish would look great with or without a topcoat.

These polishes are listed as being formaldehyde free and toluene free.  These polishes are priced at $9 each.  I was able to purchase these shades with the use of my Ulta Rewards program.  I just happened to check an e-mail account that I rarely ever use and noticed that I received two coupons from Ulta; both of which expire this coming Saturday.  I applied a 20% coupon and a 5X bonus points coupon.  I absolutely LOVE Ulta's points program, because they translate into dollars that I can use to discount items that I've been eyeing.  These points/dollars can be used on most of the products in the store. 

I went through quite a bit of a struggle to get my hands on the entire collection of polishes, but it looks like they are all still available at Ulta.com.  We all know that status can change at any moment...who knows if they'll still be available by the time I post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment